Running a simple test - here is the stack overflow code snippet using .count()
as the action.  You can see the differences between the storage levels.

print(spark.version)
2.4.3

# id 3 => using default storage level for df (memory_and_disk) and unsure why
storage level is not serialized since i am using pyspark
df = spark.range(10)
print(type(df))
df.cache().count()
print(df.storageLevel)

# id 15 => using default storage level for rdd (memory_only) and makes sense
why it is serialized
rdd = df.rdd
print(type(rdd))
rdd.cache().collect()

# id 19 => manually configuring to (memory_and_disk) which makes the storage
level serialized
df2 = spark.range(100)
from pyspark import StorageLevel
print(type(df2))
df2.persist(StorageLevel.MEMORY_AND_DISK).count()
print(df2.storageLevel)

<class 'pyspark.sql.dataframe.DataFrame'>
Disk Memory Deserialized 1x Replicated
<class 'pyspark.rdd.RDD'>
<class 'pyspark.sql.dataframe.DataFrame'>
Disk Memory Serialized 1x Replicated