Hi Roland,

I just tried what you've suggested and it actually helped me finding the
root cause. Once I had the default EMR cluster, I've submitted a Spark job
using the master instance (using the 'spark-submit' command on a terminal)
- and not use Livy to submit this job.
In this way, I had much more logging in the terminal and now the logging
actually indicated me what the timeout was causing. The timeout was related
to a service call in our company and this service call failed due to access
constraints.

Fixing those access constraints, made the Spark job succeed!

So conclusion: nothing related to Spark itself, but it's the Livy output
logging which was hiding the real error details.

Thank you all for help! :-)

Jochen

Op vr 4 okt. 2019 om 19:32 schreef Roland Johann <roland.joh...@phenetic.io