HI

I think you are mixing terminologies here. Loosely speaking, Master manages
worker machines. Each worker machine can run one or more processes. A
process can be a driver or executor. You submit applications to the master.
Each application will have driver and executors. Master will decide where
to put each of them. In cluster mode, master will distribute the drivers
across the cluster. In client mode, master will try to run the driver
processes within master's own process. You can launch multiple master
processes as well and use them for a set of applications - this happens
when you use YARN. I am not sure how Mesos or K8 works in that score
though.

HTH...

Ayan

--