Yes that is true. UUID only introduces uniqueness to the record. Some NoSql
databases requires a primary key where UUID can be used.

import java.util.UUID

scala> var pk = UUID.randomUUID

pk: java.util.UUID = 0d91e11a-f5f6-4b4b-a120-8c46a31dad0bscala>

pk = UUID.randomUUID
pk: java.util.UUID = 137ab1ef-625a-4277-9d94-9f4a11d793fc

So they are totally random.

Now Kafka producer requires a key, value pair, We generate UUID key as the
unique identifier of Kafka record

 uuidUdf= F.udf(lambda : str(uuid.uuid4()),StringType())
 result = df.withColumn("uuid",uuidUdf()) \

So back to your question. What is the use case for identity() in your SSS
application? If you want a true value as close as accurate (even MSSQL can
have gaps in the identity column because of crash etc), you need to store
the last value in a persistent storage like Hive table etc and start from

val start = spark.sql("SELECT MAX(id) FROM
test.randomData").collect.apply(0).getInt(0) + 1

HTH

   view my Linkedin profile

such loss, damage or destruction.