Shay,  You may find this video helpful (with some API code samples that you are looking for). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNQu-226wUc&t=171s.  The issue here isn't how to limit the number of executors but to request for the right GPU-enabled executors dynamically.  Those executors used in pre-GPU stages should be returned back to resource managers with dynamic resource allocation enabled (and with the right DRA policies).  Hope this helps..

Unfortunately there isn't a lot of detailed docs for this topic since GPU acceleration is kind of new in Spark (not straightforward like in TF).   I wish the Spark doc team could provide more details in the next release...

On 11/3/22 2:37 AM, Shay Elbaz wrote:
Thanks Artemis. We are *not* using Rapids, but rather using GPUs through the Stage Level Scheduling feature with ResourceProfile. In Kubernetes you have to turn on shuffle tracking for dynamic allocation, anyhow. The question is how we can limit the *number of executors *when building a new ResourceProfile, directly (API) or indirectly (some advanced workaround).

Thanks,
Shay

*From:* Artemis User <arte...@dtechspace.com>
*Sent:* Thursday, November 3, 2022 1:16 AM
*To:* user@spark.apache.org <user@spark.apache.org>
*Subject:* [EXTERNAL] Re: Stage level scheduling - lower the number of executors when using GPUs

*ATTENTION:*This email originated from outside of GM.

Are you using Rapids for GPU support in Spark? Couple of options you may want to try:

 1. In addition to dynamic allocation turned on, you may also need to
    turn on external shuffling service.
 2. Sounds like you are using Kubernetes.  In that case, you may also
    need to turn on shuffle tracking.
 3. The "stages" are controlled by the APIs.  The APIs for dynamic
    resource request (change of stage) do exist, but only for RDDs
    (e.g. TaskResourceRequest and ExecutorResourceRequest).