Hi all,
    Has the spark connect server running on k8s functionality been implemented?

From: Nagatomi Yasukazu
Date: 2023-09-05 17:51
To: user
Subject: Re: Running Spark Connect Server in Cluster Mode on Kubernetes
Dear Spark Community,

I've been exploring the capabilities of the Spark Connect Server and
encountered an issue when trying to launch it in a cluster deploy mode with
Kubernetes as the master.

While initiating the `start-connect-server.sh` script with the `--conf`
parameter for `spark.master` and `spark.submit.deployMode`, I was met with an
error message:

```
Exception in thread "main" org.apache.spark.SparkException: Cluster deploy mode
is not applicable to Spark Connect server.
```

This error message can be traced back to Spark's source code here:
https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/6c885a7cf57df328b03308cff2eed814bda156e4/core/src/main/scala/org/apache/spark/deploy/SparkSubmit.scala#L307

Given my observations, I'm curious about the Spark Connect Server roadmap:

Is there a plan or current conversation to enable Kubernetes as a master in
Spark Connect Server's cluster deploy mode?

I have tried to gather information from existing JIRA tickets, but have not
been able to get a definitive answer:

Any thoughts, updates, or references to similar conversations or initiatives
would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and expertise!

Best regards,
Yasukazu

2023年9月5日(火) 12:09 Nagatomi Yasukazu <yassan0...@gmail.com>:
Hello Mich,
Thank you for your questions. Here are my responses:

> 1. What investigation have you done to show that it is running in local mode?

I have verified through the History Server's Environment tab that:
- "spark.master" is set to local[*]
- "spark.app.id" begins with local-xxx
- "spark.submit.deployMode" is set to local

> 2. who has configured this kubernetes cluster? Is it supplied by a cloud
> vendor?

Our Kubernetes cluster was set up in an on-prem environment using RKE2(
https://docs.rke2.io/ ).

> 3. Confirm that you have configured Spark Connect Server correctly for
> cluster mode. Make sure you specify the cluster manager (e.g., Kubernetes)
> and other relevant Spark configurations in your Spark job submission.

Based on the Spark Connect documentation I've read, there doesn't seem to be
any specific settings for cluster mode related to the Spark Connect Server.

Configuration - Spark 3.4.1 Documentation
https://spark.apache.org/docs/3.4.1/configuration.html#spark-connect

Quickstart: Spark Connect — PySpark 3.4.1 documentation
https://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/api/python/getting_started/quickstart_connect.html

Spark Connect Overview - Spark 3.4.1 Documentation
https://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/spark-connect-overview.html

The documentation only suggests running ./sbin/start-connect-server.sh
--packages org.apache.spark:spark-connect_2.12:3.4.0, leaving me at a loss.

> 4. Can you provide a full spark submit command

Given the nature of Spark Connect, I don't use the spark-submit command.
Instead, as per the documentation, I can execute workloads using only a Python
script. For the Spark Connect Server, I have a Kubernetes manifest executing
"/opt.spark/sbin/start-connect-server.sh --packages
org.apache.spark:spark-connect_2.12:3.4.0".

> 5. Make sure that the Python client script connecting to Spark Connect Server
> specifies the cluster mode explicitly, like using --master or --deploy-mode
> flags when creating a SparkSession.

The Spark Connect Server operates as a Driver, so it isn't possible to specify
the --master or --deploy-mode flags in the Python client script. If I try, I
encounter a RuntimeError.

like this:
RuntimeError: Spark master cannot be configured with Spark Connect server;
however, found URL for Spark Connect [sc://.../]

> 6. Ensure that you have allocated the necessary resources (CPU, memory etc)
> to Spark Connect Server when running it on Kubernetes.

Resources are ample, so that shouldn't be the problem.

> 7. Review the environment variables and configurations you have set,
> including the SPARK_NO_DAEMONIZE=1 variable. Ensure that these variables are
> not conflicting with

I'm unsure if SPARK_NO_DAEMONIZE=1 conflicts with cluster mode settings. But
without it, the process goes to the background when executing
start-connect-server.sh, causing the Pod to terminate prematurely.

> 8. Are you using the correct spark client version that is fully compatible
> with your spark on the server?

Yes, I have verified that without using Spark Connect (e.g., using Spark
Operator), Spark applications run as expected.

> 9. check the kubernetes error logs

The Kubernetes logs don't show any errors, and jobs are running in local mode.

> 10. Insufficient resources can lead to the application running in local mode

I wasn't aware that insufficient resources could lead to local mode execution.
Thank you for pointing it out.

Best regards,
Yasukazu

personally I have not used this feature myself. However, some points

[...]
with cluster mode settings.
Are you using the correct spark client version that is fully compatible with
your spark on the server?
check the kubernetes error logs
Insufficient resources can lead to the application running in local mode
HTH

Mich Talebzadeh,
Distinguished Technologist, Solutions Architect & Engineer
London
United Kingdom

   view my Linkedin profile

 https://en.everybodywiki.com/Mich_Talebzadeh

Disclaimer: Use it at your own risk. Any and all responsibility for any loss,
damage or destruction of data or any other property which may arise from
relying on this email's technical content is explicitly disclaimed. The author
will in no case be liable for any monetary damages arising from such loss,
damage or destruction.