Could you give an example where default parallelism is set to 2 where it
didn't used to be?

Here is the relevant section for the spark standalone mode:
CoarseGrainedSchedulerBackend.scala#L211<https://github.com/apache/incubator-spark/blob/master/core/src/main/scala/org/apache/spark/scheduler/cluster/CoarseGrainedSchedulerBackend.scala#L211>.
If spark.default.parallelism is set, it will override anything else. If it
is not set, we will use the total number of cores in the cluster and 2,
which is the same logic that has been used since
spark-0.7<https://github.com/apache/incubator-spark/blob/branch-0.7/core/src/main/scala/spark/scheduler/cluster/StandaloneSchedulerBackend.scala#L156>
.

Simplest possibility is that you're setting spark.default.parallelism,
otherwise there may be a bug introduced somewhere that isn't defaulting
correctly anymore.