I tried your suggestion of using an Apache mirror. I picked:

   mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca

and it worked fine -- Firefox 3.0.3 downloaded the file stdcxx-4.2.1.tar.gz
WITHOUT TRUNCATION.

The MD5 checksum on the file is correct.

7-Zip opened the .gx and the .tar without error, and extracted both without
error, creating what looks like a valid directory tree with around 48 MB of
files.

* * *
* * *

I'm going to try the download again from the Apache web site Downloads page,
to make sure that the file truncation problem still exists with that site.
I'll let you know ONLY if the problem DOES NOT exist anymore.

If the problem still exists, and Apache wants to try to fix the problem on
the Apache web site, just let me know and I'll be happy to act as tester
with Firefox 3.0.3 under Windows XP (SP2).

Steve