[MS]
Right. I think a "build" directory gets created automatically
when one isn't specified on the command line (via BUILDDIR).
Something weird seems to be going on in Steve's environment
(the behavior of ln -s is definitely bizarre)...

[SP]
Yes there is something wierd. Please see my response to Farid's message,
regarding a test shell script I created, to replicate the MinGW+MSYS ln
problem.

But I've got a workaround for the problem. And Farid says my stdcxx build is
now working. So no big deal.

I'm "only" using MinGW+MSYS for compiling and building C++ programs through
the NetBeans IDE (with C++ plugin). That all seems to work fine. It's the
comparably far more complex process of building the stdcxx library, that is
stressing my MinGW+MSYS. But I want to use stdcxx because it seems to me
likely to be superior to the standard library shipped with g++, so I don't
mind at all working through the glitches to get stdcxx built and working.

* * *
* * *

[MS]>>> There is an /stdcxx-4.2.2/build/liblibstd.a file of size 2.33 MB.

  My congratulations, you have just build the stdcxx library :)

Although it probably shouldn't be called liblibstd, should it?
What's with the duplicate "lib" part?

[SP]
It's lack of sleep -- the correct pathname is
/stdcxx-4.2.2/build/lib/libstd.a

Steve

----- Original Message ----- From: "Martin Sebor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Fix #2 -- Your /stdcxx-4.2.2/build file:

I renamed the /stdcxx-4.2.2/build file that came with the svn download,
/stdcxx-4.2.1/build_faridz, because the presence of the build FILE was
preventing the GNUmakefile from creating the /stdcxx-4.2.2/build/
DIRECTORY.

  Hmm, you must be wrong, we don't have any file with the name "build" in
svn.

Right. I think a "build" directory gets created automatically
when one isn't specified on the command line (via BUILDDIR).
Something weird seems to be going on in Steve's environment
(the behavior of ln -s is definitely bizarre)...

[...]

There is an /stdcxx-4.2.2/build/liblibstd.a file of size 2.33 MB.

  My congratulations, you have just build the stdcxx library :)

Although it probably shouldn't be called liblibstd, should it?
What's with the duplicate "lib" part?

Martin