Assuming you have git and maven installed:

git clone g...@github.com:apache/storm.git
cd storm
git checkout -b 1.x origin/1.x-branch
mvn install -DskipTests

That third step checks out the 1.x-branch branch which is the base for the
upcoming 1.0 release.

You can then include the storm-hdfs dependency in your project:

<dependency>
        <groupId>org.apache.storm</groupId>
        <artifactId>storm-hdfs</artifactId>
        <version>1.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
</dependency>

You can find more information on using the spout and other HDFS components here:

https://github.com/apache/storm/tree/1.x-branch/external/storm-hdfs#hdfs-spout
<https://github.com/apache/storm/tree/1.x-branch/external/storm-hdfs#hdfs-spout>

-Taylor