Hi Arun,

Thanks for your promptly answer.

As we have problems with our windowed topology (the average processing time keeps increasing, while the processing speed keeps dropping until hitting zero) I kept thinking about the value of max.spout.pending parameter for the case of field based windowing.

Imagine the following situation: we have a window length of 1s and a sliding interval of 0.1s, with the max.pending.spout set to 2, thus each second the expired tuples are going to be evicted. Now if our windowed bolt have a parallelism of 2, and the messages are partitioned in a round robin fashion (well it's not an actually existion partitioning scheme in Storm, let's say that for the example's sake) between the component instances, then the topology are going to stop processing messages, as the watermarks are emitted on a per component basis.

Unless I'm mistaken somewhere, the max.spout.pending should be higher than (parallelism * (number of tuples in window length + sliding interval)), right?

Best regards,
Balazs