Hi,

There is ambiguity in the available documentation:

The name “topology.tick.tuple.freq.secs” implies it is topology-level.

But it is clearly set at the component level, in
Bolt::getComponentConfiguration() method.

At which level does it take effect?

The primary example blog at
http://hortonworks.com/blog/apache-storm-design-pattern-micro-batching/ says:

“Cons: Tick tuples are topology specific—not bolt specific. As such, you cannot
use them for managing different batch schedules for different components within
topologies.”

And couple weeks ago I found a stackoverflow comment (unfortunately I can’t
find it again now) that if you try to set different tick frequencies for
different bolts in the same topology, Storm would use the smaller interval.

BUT the release note (which is official, come to think of it) at
http://storm.apache.org/2012/08/02/storm080-released.html says:

TOPOLOGY-TICK-TUPLE-FREQ-SECS is “Meant to be used as a component-specific
configuration.”

Which is correct?  The underlying question is, CAN you set different tick
frequencies for different bolts in the same topology?

Or if you try, what happens?

Thanks,

--Matt