I am working on this right now , can’t promise the dates because I have some
other tasks as well. The general approach is already described in the JIRA. You
basically need 3 things:

Leader election between all nimbus hosts. (zookeeper is what I am going with),
checks on nimbus background threads and state changing APIS to ensure only
leader is changing states.
Some way to distribute the local nimbus data directory to all the other nimbus
and keep it consistent. Simplest way is to not have a local directory but
instead use something like HDFS, if you can take that kind of dependency.
Nimbus discovery, could be done either by adding/modifying current rest/thrift
APIS or by allowing supervisors or clients to read from zookeeper.

I have some code on leader election part with preliminary testing and unit-test
here. This is by no means ready for anyone’s use but if you want to take a look
to get an idea you can take a look.

Thanks
Parth

--