You are correct that <c:set> does not create a scripting variable, so
you can't use the specified identifier in a scriptlet.  The question,
though, is why are you still using a scriptlet expression?  Why not
use an EL expression instead?

  <pg:pager maxPageItems="${pageItems}"/>

or, to avoid needing to do the <c:set> in the first place:

  <pg:pager maxPageItems="${optionsForm.pagItems}"/>

The appropriate conversions will happen for you automatically.

Craig