My bad.

That was some code I was trying just to see what would happen.  This line
gets the same results and is the one I started with.  Promise.

      errors.add(ActionErrors.GLOBAL_MESSAGE, new ActionError(
"errors.physical.takeover"));

             "Jim Barrows"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       "Struts Users Mailing List"
             08/18/2004 02:54          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         RE: Validation plug-in & Websphere
               "Struts Users           Studio 5.0.1
               Mailing List"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                  he.org>

<snip> bunch of code</snip>

>             if(physicalAudit == true){
>                   if(takeoverAudit == true){
>                         errors.add("Test add", new ActionError(
> "errors.physical.takeover"));

from the javadoc:
public void add(java.lang.String property,
                ActionError error)
property - Property name (or ActionErrors.GLOBAL_ERROR)

I don't think your property name is not a valid property name.  try
test.add, testAdd or something similar.
Or, for testing this out try GLOBABL_ERROR as defined above.