Hi Christian,
I have been using SM in production environments for a long time now.
AFAIK 3.x is fairly stable though is still alpha.
The encoding issues are my nightmare  :), you don't never know where
they come from.
The default encoding of S2 is UTF8, anyway to enforce the concept you
could always do:

<constant name="struts.i18n.encoding" value="UTF-8"/> (struts.xml)

<parser content-type="text/html;charset=UTF-8"
class="com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.parser.HTMLPageParser" />
(sitemesh.xml)

I usually start from a very simple example, then go ahead (does your
data display correctly without SM?).
How did you import your data inside mysql?

Ensure that your data was encoded correctly inside the DB itself:
select hex(field) from Table where condition;
As last option you can even consider a Character Encoding Servlet
Filter, but to be frank I never felt the need to use it.

Twitter     :http://www.twitter.com/m_cucchiara
G+          :https://plus.google.com/107903711540963855921
Linkedin    :http://www.linkedin.com/in/mauriziocucchiara

Maurizio Cucchiara