Hi Lukasz,
  Our case is slightly different... we have about 10 files in our theme.
None of our theme files reference a local version of css.ftl. But to reduce
the problem to its simplest, if we remove everything from
src/main/webapp/template/tdar/ except for theme.properties and
textarea.ftl, we still get the error.  Finally, if we change the
textarea.ftl to comment out the controlheader and controlfooter references:

<#-- <#include
"/${parameters.templateDir}/${parameters.theme}/controlheader.ftl" /> -->
<#include "/${parameters.templateDir}/simple/textarea.ftl" />
<#-- <#include
"/${parameters.templateDir}/${parameters.theme}/controlfooter.ftl" /> -->

we still see:

The failing instruction (print stack trace for 1 more):
==> #include "/\${parameters.templateDir}...  [in template
"template/simple/textarea.ftl" at line 42, column 1]

Caused by: freemarker.core._MiscTemplateException: Error reading included
file "template/~~~tdar/css.ftl":
Template "template/~~~tdar/css.ftl" not found.

Any thoughts? I'm not sure how to pair down our theme any more than it
already is to isolate what's wrong.

thanks,

adam