Morning Norbert
ceki gulcu spent years mastering the art of incorporating PatternLayouts and
different Appenders into log4j
Say you have a thread that is spiking CPU or heap when processing a particular
algo
algos code is out of reach from IDEs and you want to test it near Prod
environment (where there there are no Ides)
so you want your logging to NOT add more heap requirement and  to NOT add CPU
usage
Latest 2.3 log4j release version allows asynchronous logging
imagine having a staggering 2,652,412 log messages processed/sec  (or 1,715,344
log messages processed/sec windows) within the same thread
why should anyone want to duplicate these features when log4j already fulfills
those requirements?

http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/
HTH
Martin