The documentation about ajax-validation might help you:

http://struts.apache.org/docs/ajax-validation.html

Basically you have to create JSON with 'errors' like this:

http://struts.apache.org/docs/ajax-validation.html#AJAXValidation-Howitworks

And you might use the JavaScript function
StrutsUtils.showValidationErrors( ) to display them. Of course you must
include struts utils.js to use that function.

regards,
Christoph