Hi,

I downloaded the latest JVM and tomcat.
I set JAVA_HOME  as system variable to the latest version of JVM like any
developer.
the tomcat home page appeared.  wow ! and more wow ! great ! freeware which
talk to the browser.
I no longer have to do 1 week training on vendor tools.
I am free at last free at last , free at last.
Now I can learn this tool to a depth I have never learned before producing
industrial software using the most complex programming features. So complex
that another developer will have serious problems understanding. It will
test his skills to  the limit.
I can now learn HTML and JAVASCRIPT , I thought ANSI SQL  and pure object
orientated programmer. No more wrappers.

Then I  noticed there was a JVM already installed on my operating system in
program files  sub directory. I wanted to replicate the user environment.
so I set JAVA_HOME in the .bat file pointing to latest JVM for tomcat only.
That's when I got a blank page.

It is my understanding that the communication protocol was incompatible
between the latest JDK and the earlier JRE already installed used by
browser. The two JVMS couldn't talk to each other.
So disappointed I was.

Then I found another set of instruction showing  how to plug JSERV module
with Apache web server.
Once I did that the tomcat cat home page re appeared in the same browser.

Now, I come from the third world and I know they use old computers and they
do not have the bandwidth to download 500 - 600 MB operating system patches.
Especially my tribe members. Like Apache I also come from a small  tribe
and I want to prototype an application so that we can keep track. I want to
prototype using Struts2.

Obviously I do not have access to the lowest level communication protocol.
The one that makes it possible for a  web page to travel half way across
the world in a split second.
That is confidential and I am a lowly developer.

Can the expert please tell me, do I still have to use Apache in front or
can I just use tomcat with the latest stable JVM and it will communicate
with what ever browser no matter how old ?