Thanks for clearing some doubts:

a) web.xml is indispensable.

b) Some claims about JSPs on the Internet are untrue.

c) my how to book  Mastering Tomcat Development is still current.

Regards
Z.

https://www.backbutton.co.uk/
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
♡۶♡۶ ♡۶
Years of commercial experience in designing , developing your own framework
can save you Weeks of learning a framework.

Weeks of coding can save you hours of planning.