Following "Exception mapping" at:
https://struts.apache.org/getting-started/exception-handling.html

Something like:
public class HttpIOException extends Exception {
private static final long serialVersionUID = -4261703341L;

public HttpIOException() {
super("Http IO Exception");
}

public HttpIOException(String message) {
super(message);

public class Register extends ActionSupport {
    //...
public void throwHttpIOException(String message) throws HttpIOException {
throw new HttpIOException(message);
}

public void throwHttpIO500Exception() throws HttpIOException {
throw new HttpIOException("HTTP response code: 500");
}

public void throwHttpIO503Exception() throws HttpIOException {
throw new HttpIOException("HTTP response code: 503");
}
//...
}

struts.xml
        <action name="cause500exception"
class="org.apache.struts.register.action.Register"
method="throwHttpIO500Exception">
        <result>/500.jsp</result>
        </action>
        <action name="cause503exception"
class="org.apache.struts.register.action.Register"
method="throwHttpIO503Exception">
        <result>/503.jsp</result>
        </action>