1. You should use the Container (Tomat and not Struts) data source and not use connection pool, rather the DataSourcePool that comes with JDBC drivers. Connections are more for clients and PooledDataSource is for servers, so use that part of any JDBC driver.

2. You should write a helo world servlet that just looks up the datasource and displays a row, outside of Eclipse and w/o Struts.

pgSQL rocks!

good luck.

.V

Kyle Korndoerfer wrote:
I am not running PostgreSQL on my Windows box. The connection string in
the Data Source config section is pointing to the SuSE box. I am using
pgAdmin III on my Windows box to manage the database without error, so
I can connect to my SuSE box and PostgreSQL without issue.

I launch Tomcat from within Eclipse strictly for debugging purposes.
Even though I am using the Sysdeo plugin (to get the debugging
capability), my Ant build script copies the WAR file into the
TOMCAT/webapps folder first, then I start Tomcat (I do not use any of
the deploy tools with the Sysdeo Plugin).

The PostgreSQL jar file is configured as a User Library within Eclipse
and has been added to my Project. I've also tried loading Tomcat
individually (not from within Eclipse), but I still get the same error.

I think the issue is less about being able to actually talk to the
server & service, since it can't even load the Driver (which you have
to do before even attempting to make a connection).

The crazy part about this is that I've used the Struts DataSources with
PostgreSQL in the past without issue.

I'm going to download the latest PostgreSQL JDBC drivers tonight and
see if that makes any difference. Hopefully it will, since I'm still
utterly stumped...

Thanks for the help so far.

-={ Kyle }=-