Michael Jouravlev wrote:
On 7/28/05, Werner Punz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I after Wendy gave me the advice to rephrase the question I will try to
rephrase it.

Being new to struts, I want to know how people deal with data objects
which need a scope bigger than request but smaller than session.

There are no standard ways to do this. Creating wizards myself, I was
thinking about some kind of garbage collector for session object. This
project: http://wfnm.sourceforge.net/ seems to have this feature. It
has some other features so I don't know can you pull out the session
garbage collection feature only or not. I guess not, because it
detects garbage in relation to the flow. Thus seems that you have to
define the flow, which is unfortunate. Anyway, I did not really use
this project, so you may try and report results ;-)

Actually I was thinking also along the lines of having some kind of garbage collecting mechanism. I did something like that in JSF very easy (reprogrammed parts of the x:saveState) the trick was to push the object into the session with some kind of key which stores the current and the old session and at the end of each rendering cycle (which is the problem because struts behaves totally different)

I basically dumped the objects from the old url and pushed the newly
registrated ones into the central object storage.

That trick worked very well, because you have clear distinctive phases in JSF which mark the before assigning the data part and the after rendering part of the request and you already have a save and restore mechanism on component level which utilizes those two phases.

I tried to move over a similar mechanism in Struts, but basically failed due to time constraints, which I cannot resolve by technical means ;-)