Wendy Smoak wrote:
From: "C.F. Scheidecker Antunes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I would like to have a bean with a data structure that gets populated when the application starts and then this bean is available to the entire application.

Use a ServletContextListener, which will be notified when the context starts and stops.

http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/docs/api/javax/servlet/ServletContextListener.html

public class MyContextListener implements ServletContextListener {

  public void contextInitialized( ServletContextEvent event ) {
     ServletContext context = event.getServletContext();
     // create your bean by reading from the database
     context.setAttribute( "beanName" , bean );

In web.xml:
<listener>
     <listener-class>edu.example.MyContextListener</listener-class>
</listener>

Now you can use context.getAttribute( "beanName"); in Java code, or expressions such as ${beanName.propName} to get access to it.

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect