Ok.  Several things here.

1. If you use "runtime" expressions for attributes in JSP, the runtime
expression has to be the entire attribute value, not just a portion, so
you would have (approximately):

  onblur='<%= "this...." + ... + "reCalcFields(" + executionState + ");"
%>'

However, assuming your container is a JSP 1.2 container (I believe WSAD
5.1 is such), then you can use the "Struts-EL" library contained in the
"contrib" directory of the Struts distribution (search archives for more
info).  If you do that, then it will look like this:

onblur="this.className='fieldInactive';reCalcFields(${executionState});"

On the other hand, if I'm wrong, and WSAD 5.1 is a JSP 2.0 container,
then just use normal Struts without Struts-EL (it will break if you use
Struts-EL in a JSP 2.0 container) and your attribute value can use this
last value.  If you do have a JSP 2.0 container, make sure your web.xml
enables the Servlet 2.4 features by using the 2.4 schema.