On 11/26/05, Frank W. Zammetti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Tamas, do you by chance have custom fonts or images in the PDF that
> might be getting retrieved over a non-secure connection?  A PDF works
> just like HTML in that the document is returned, and then the browser
> makes requests for embedded resources, including images and non-standard
> fonts.

That's interesting, I didn't know that PDF works just like HTML in this
matter.
A coworker wrote the PDF generator so I'm not sure about this, but I tend to
think that the problem is not caused by this, because then I would get the
confirmation box when I make a GET request too...

I too had all manner of problems serving PDFs over an SSL connection.  I
> don't recall your exact problem though, although it *does* sound familiar.
>
> One problem I remember for sure was the cache headers... do you by
> chance have the controller configured to set them?  If so, drop that and
> use the CacheControlFilter in JWP and map it so you *don't* set the
> headers for the URL that you retrieve the PDF with.

The app is a Struts app and the cache headers are set.
I can try to do this (what is this JWP? hehe), but do you thin that iw would
be different
for GET and POST requests?

I have an app in production that streams PDFs back right now, and it's
> actually an IE-only app, so that in and of itself *can* definitely be
> done...  Actually, what I do is a bit of a hybrid... I write the PDF to
> a database, and then redirect to an Action that streams it.

So it is a GET request? :-)

The other problem that *always* comes up, which might be harder for you
> to deal with, is in the Acrobat plug-in (which is a buggy piece of s**t
> by the way) there is an option to open PDFs in the browser or not...
> I've had some users that have to be set one way, others that have to be
> set the other, no pattern I can see.

I tested this only with open in browser setting.

One other suggestion is to throw Etheral on the line while retrieving a
> PDF... you just may see what's going on right away.  Like I said the PDF
> plug-in is absolutely horrendous, and I'd be willing to bet that's the
> source of your problem, not IE (this time!).

I like the Ethereal idea I will try this at first on Monday probably.
And after that I can try to send back another bytestream(not a PDF) to see
if the PDF plug-in is the source of the problem or not?

Just some other things you might want to check.

Thanks, any tips are welcome

Frank

Tamas