Hi thomas,
which component do you use for generate your tabs?
Do you use specific taglib, like struts-layout tabs or ditchnet tabs, or do
you develop
your own taglib ? Perhaps, your tabs can support EL tags. If so you could do
<c:if test="${myCondition}" />
  <myTab:tab .....
</c:if>
For information, I'm developping JSPTabControl component project.
But today it doesn't exist. I will try to developp something which can
support
EL condition.

Regards
Angelo