Hello Darren,
I'm aggree with Larry. If you want you can see Architecture shema with
Service/DAO pattern in my open source project Gestcv at
http://gestcv.sourceforge.net/fr/architecture.html (sorry it's in frensh).
You can download the application WEB to see how I use Spring with Struts.

Regards Angelo

2006/9/12, Larry Meadors <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

On 9/11/06, Darren Hall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> So, should I use the datasource functionality provided in struts, or
should
> I "roll my own" database connection solution by creating a datasource
> factory that can be used to retrieve connections?

I wouldn't do either. If you can, use Spring to do this, and to wire
together not just the DAO, but also to wire your services to the
actions, and the DAOs to the services.

Spring will give you simple abstraction if that is all you want, or
all sorts of things beyond just that simple abstraction if you want.

Larry