I had the same problem some time ago. At the end I decided to go with struts2
instead of JSF for several reasons:

- development time (i am familar with action based frameworks - it reflects
better how i think of web application)
- there is no good JSF framework out there in my eyes. nothing that can
compare to the out-of-box functionality of struts2.
- i dont think it will be replaced anytime soon - and the team has proven that
they support the framework very well (struts1) and for a long time.

anyway, if you intend to use visual tool support to build your webapp, JSF is
the better(only) choice.

after all i came to the conclusion not to think about what will be the next
standard, what will be the better choice from technology point but to ask
myself: what framework will solve my problem best _now_.

by the way: until now I am very happy with my choice :-)

regards,
        piero