Hello.

> A couple of newbie questions. Firstly, does Struts2 automatically
> create an HTTP Session or do I need to explicitly create it.

Sessions are managed by the servlet-container. Struts does not need to create
them.

> Early
> experimentation suggests that it's automatically created as I'm seeing
> the JSESSIONID parameter in the Urls generated without doing anything,
> but I'd like to be sure.

Yes - you are right. The sessions are generated automatically by the container
(tomcat, etc).

> Secondly I need to know when a session is
> ended. Is there an established Struts 2 practice for this or do I
> still create an HTTPSessionListener object and register it in web.xml
> as I would with a "basic" web-app.

HTTPSessionListener?

You can use
--- code ---
    <session-config>
      <session-timeout>30</session-timeout>
    </session-config>
--- code ---

the timeout is given in minutes. after this time the session is destroyed.

Piero.