> I'm looking at the javadoc for this, it doesn't say much. Do I just
> create a class scope variable for the session context and then set
> that from the argument in the set method?

That is exactly how it works. You might want to look at ServletSessionAware,
ServletRequestAware, ServletResponseAware as well - it works the same way.

> Is this set method called automagically by the framework when the
> action is first accessed or when the web app is deployed?

I think it is called when the action is instantiated, but I am not totally
sure.

> If I put
> this in the base action class and extend that for my other actions,
> will this cause problems, or does each final action class need to
> implement this?

This should not make any problems. You can extend a generic action that
implements all the stuff that is common to all your actions. I am doing it
the same way and it works well.

One thing you have to take care of is that there are issues if you want access
in the constructor of an action (struts has no chance to call the set method
then).

Piero.