I have used sitemesh in the past http://www.opensymphony.com/sitemesh/
This is a filter that intercepts the html on the way out, parses it then decorates it with a header, menu etc. etc.

lightbulb432 wrote:
Great, thanks!

Out of curiosity, what are the alternatives to Tiles for JSP templating?
Assuming I'd like to use JSP for the view, what ways of making a
maintainable website are there? Of course I could use the JSP include action
and directive, but that wouldn't be maintainable (or would it in practice -
what's your experience?)

What alternatives are there, and how do they compare to Tiles?

Thanks.