If your application is displaying user input without checking for
malicious code, you have a problem whether Struts 2 evaluations ognl
expressions or not.    This is how the majority of Cross-Site
Scripting (XSS) [1] attacks work, tricking the user into visiting a
page that the attacker has placed JavaScript that steals their
cookies.

That said, the average Struts developer may not be aware of how OGNL
is being used here, so we should do something to better protect the
application.

I'm taking this discussion over to the dev@ list.

Don

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-site_scripting