I always try to use JSTL and JSP-EL when I can, but there used to be bugs in
the process of getting the JSTL tags to work with the value stack.  Are those
problems fixed in 2.0.8?.

Then there is the question of Ajax in S2.  Completely abandoning the S2 tags
will require using Ajax from an independent source, since the S2 tags are all
tied into Dojo.

What would be nice is a "zero-config" theme which just renders the basic html
tags, provides access to the value stack, and element-specific error messages,
and doesn't prevent using our own css and styles.  That really irks me with the
S2 tags - sometimes they won't let you specify your own styles.

The 'themes' problem is one of the core twitches in S2 which I find more than
irritating.  I don't claim to have looked into the architecture of the
implementation, but if I follow the discussion correctly, all pages go thru
freemarker.  The inclusion of features which cannot be escaped, and which rely
on other packages which are largely black boxes makes an app developed in S2
fragile.  As a developer, I have enough on my plate learning S2 without having
to learn freemarker, dojo, ognl, etc. in order to effectively use the S2
features.  All those packages should be optional.

However, the thing about S2 which irks me most is the non-standard expression
language which sometimes uses one syntax and sometimes another.

- Ray C.

- Ray Clough
[EMAIL PROTECTED]