In my opinion, I hardly believe this is something to
do  with uPortal, reason is we got other portlet
develelopment strategies like (struts-bridge) working
fine with uPortal. I think even the product is called
uPortal it got pluto container underneath.

Any how you may have other ideas as well as we may be
wrong.

Thanks,