Hi,
You could use Formview Taglib. See at http://formview.sourceforge.net/
With Formview you can  manage any fields mode (READONLY, READWRITE,
INVISIBLE...)
on server side. With Formview you must not use javascript or not use a lot
of logic:equal.

For instance of you have JSP, like this :

   <formview:page>
    <!-- HTML input text -->
    <input type="text" name="project" value="Struts Project" />
    <!-- Struts HTML input text -->
     .... other JSP taglib....
   </formview:page>

You set READ state on server side with WEBFormViewUtil class (see documentation)
and after HTML generated is :

    <!-- HTML input text -->
    <input type="text" name="project" value="Struts Project"
readonly="readonly"/>
    <!-- Struts HTML input text -->
    <input type="text" name="projectDate" value="" readonly="readonly"/>

With Formview you can mange
* role http://formview.sourceforge.net/roles.html (display field switch
role)
* errors http://formview.sourceforge.net/errors.html (to set the brakground
color of field with red color).

With Formview you manage any state (CREATE, UPDATE..) and any mode
(READONLY...).
You choose the HTML generated that you want switch state ans mode and HTML
element type (select, input...)
See at http://formview.sourceforge.net/developer-guide.html

Regards Angelo