If it's simple application, you dont need JAAS, You
can do it via just session management isnt it? You
might need user, role, user-role  threee tables on
database
thats it :)

If you are using Application server like Jboss, the
server itself got inbuilt features, which is
altogether a different discussion.

If the application is simple, do not make it
complicated,

we use JASS with CAS central authentication service
which provided SSO features.

hope this helps