I think the problem might be that there may not be a way to configure a
different TextProvider.

Consider the object factory example, in this case guice :

<struts>

  <bean type="com.opensymphony.xwork2.ObjectFactory"
        name="guice"
        class="com.google.inject.struts2.GuiceObjectFactory"/>

  <!--  Make the Guice object factory the automatic default -->
  <constant name="struts.objectFactory" value="guice" />

</struts>

What this does is create a bean provider with a given name of that type.

The constant portion is actually the configuration piece.

I tried looking in the source, but I couldn't find how to configure the
textProvider.
The two pre-configured ones both use the same class so one wouldn't note any
difference.

Maybe someone on the list can help you out more.

Apologies,
-a