From: Jeromy Evans [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Fri 2/1/2008 4:35 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: AjaxTag 1.3 support?

My 2c:
I think this is a bad solution and shouldn't be encouraged.  It's
marginally better than writing a custom servlet.

Struts2 ResultTypes [1] are designed specifically for controlling the
type and content of results from actions to separate the view from the
model, even if the "view" is XML data.  Accessing the response and
writing to it directly isn't necessary except in the rarest of cases.

For Ajax/JS libraries that use JSON, the JSON Plugin (JSON ResultType)
[2] will serialize your action into JSON automatically
The XSL ResultType will serialize your action into XML if you provide a
stylesheet [3]
The REST plugin includes code to serialize your action into XML using
Xstream. [4]

My point is, your action can setup a model (eg. a javabean matching the
model expected by AjaxTag), and the ResultType can serialize it to the
output stream.  In this case I'd create a custom result type using
XStream, but you could also use a XML template in a Tile, or have a
ResultType that accesses the instance created by AjaxXMLBuilder.

[1] http://struts.apache.org/2.0.11/docs/result-types.html
[2] http://cwiki.apache.org/S2PLUGINS/json-plugin.html
[3] http://struts.apache.org/2.0.11/docs/xsl-result.html
[4] http://xstream.codehaus.org/