Well, to answer my own question -- the answer is no. The JSON result
serialization process escapes quotation marks, so my response that
looked like this before serialization:

{"questions":{"420":"Is your Java Application a ME, SE or EE
application?","440":"If your Java Application is an SE application does
it use Java Web Start?","450":"If your Java Application is a Java Web
Application, list the application server used for
production","490":"List any Java Web Services Technologies
Used","500":"List any Java Web Application Technologies Used for
presentation","510":"List any Java EE Technologies used in your
application"}}

Looks like this after serialization:

"{\"questions\":{\"420\":\"Is your Java Application a ME, SE or EE
application?\",\"440\":\"If your Java Application is an SE application
does it use Java Web Start?\",\"450\":\"If your Java Application is a
Java Web Application, list the application server used for
production\",\"490\":\"List any Java Web Services Technologies
Used\",\"500\":\"List any Java Web Application Technologies Used for
presentation\",\"510\":\"List any Java EE Technologies used in your
application\"}}"

Making it unrecognizable to the autocompleter. This is pretty
frustrating to me. Maybe I am expecting this to do something that it was
never designed to do. My end goal was to be able to evaluate the ID of
the question that the user selected from the autocompleter.

I'm giving up this path and looking elsewhere.  Thanks to everyone that
replied to my question and tried to help me.

MG