http://java.sun.com/blueprints/corej2eepatterns/Patterns/TransferObject.html
> have you considered using a factory with Timestamps/Versions to either
> quiesce the old TOs or somehow update old contents with new?

That's unlikely; the error is this:

>> Error setting expression 'currentEvent.excludeRulesValues['dd']' with
>> value '[Ljava.lang.String;@1f09665'

which looks more like it's trying to set a single String with a String[].

> 3)s:textfield Whichever value is being returned from the
> LinkedMap's value has to not have these embedded chars
> = , # :

Why not? I don't have any issues using those characters as map values or
displaying (or submitting) them in <s:textfield...>s.

Dave