I'm not sure if I understand you correctly but...

>  I want to display editable dates in textfields.

This should be as simple as using a textfield (input type=text) as
your date field

>I cannot use JavaScript, so
>  datetimepicker isn't an option.

So the user will have to manually enter the date by typing.

>Currently the date is displayed as dd/mm/yy
>  if there is a value.  How can I change this to be dd/mm/yyyy?

We recently has this probem.  We gave the user to an option set the
date format for our whole system.  Now whenver we read dates out of
the database they get formatted to the users specified format.

If you are using one date, then you can hard code the format (in a
properties file) and apply it to all dates that come out of the
database.  I believe in Oracle, and possibly other DBMS you can also
specify a format that you want the date to come out as when it is
queried.  You wont have to apply any formatting if this is the case.

For validation If you can't use java script the best way I can see to
do this would be to have your field:

MyDate: __________  (dd/mm/yyyy)

This will inform the user of the correct format.  You will have to
validate this format on the server side and if the format is not
dd/mm/yyyy you can return the error and let the user know tha the
format is wrong.