The code of IndexAction doesn't matter, as before I set "actionPackages"
it wasn't even going there at all.  In any case, it's execute() method
just returns SUCCESS.  The two "index.jsp" files are not identical.  I
even tried renaming the second one to "index2.jsp" (and changing the
reference), but that made no difference.

I'm starting over on this process, just starting from scratch building a
"hello, world".  I'm not seeing this symptom yet, but I'm seeing other
issues that are certainly unrelated.