I can't see anything wrong. My guess is still that it still hasn't deployed correctly.

Time to use the source... Put a breakpoint in your action and trace what happens after you return "success". Immediately you'll have access to the ActionInvocation and ActionConfig. The latter will specify which results are defined and their types. You won't have to step far to find out whether it found the result and whether the result had an error.

Karr, David wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Jeromy Evans [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 3:11 PM
Subject: Re: Simple helloworld test fails with "Could not find action or result"

I don't see anything wrong with it, provided MainAction returns "success" (MainAction.java wasn't attached).

Cute.  I guess my company decided that java is unsafe, so they removed
it from the attachments :) .  I'll reattach it with a fake extent.  I'll
also attach my JSP.  Perhaps that's relevant.

The Action implementation extends ActionSupport, and it's using the
SUCCESS constant.
Is it possible you have a conflicting struts.xml deployed in the webapp, or any plugin jars deployed? The only other time I've seen the response you're returning the correct result code is when the Result implementation has encountered an error (not using the CodeBehind plugin are you?)

I have the following jars in WEB-INF/lib:

spring-context-2.0.5.jar
spring-core-2.0.5.jar
commons-logging-1.0.4.jar
spring-web-2.0.5.jar
freemarker-2.3.8.jar
struts2-core-2.0.11.jar
ognl-2.6.11.jar
struts2-spring-plugin-2.0.11.jar
spring-beans-2.0.5.jar
xwork-2.0.4.jar

I do have the Spring plugin in there.  Could that be an issue?  I'm
going to want to use that soon, but I'm not really using it yet.

I tried exporting my WAR and verifying I only have my single struts.xml
in it.

What happen if your go directly to /main.action and /main2.action?

That's what I've been doing.  When I go to "/main.action", I get the
error I described.

You have setup two actions:
main - implemented by MainAction, with a forward for "success" to /main.jsp main2 - implemented by ActionSupport, with a forward for "success" to /main.jsp and you're using the default interceptors. It is configured correctly.

Karr, David wrote:
I'm sure I have a simple error here, but I don't see it.

I'm trying to construct a simple "hello, world" app with
v2.0.11. I
have an "index.jsp" that redirects to "main.action". I started out with the "main" action just having a result
(name="success") going to
"/main.jsp". That appears to work. I then cloned the action (and changing the name), adding a "class" attribute referring to
a simple
Action class. The Action class' execute method just
returns SUCCESS.
I would have thought this would do the same thing as the action without the Action class, but it instead fails with "No
result defined
for action com.wamu.struts.helloworld.MainAction and result
success".
I'll attach my struts.xml, web.xml, and MainAction.java files.