Thanks for the reply. I did try nesting a <s:date> tag within a <s:url> but
no dice. This is what I tried:

<s:url action="date/">
<s:date name="starts" />
</s:url>

I didn't even think this would, but it actually did render the following
result
http://localhost:8080/myapp/2007-05-12 day/

I was expecting http://localhost:8080/myapp/day/2007-05-12.action

Also I noticed that there seems to be a bug with the var attribute in
<s:url> (it doesn't work at all)

Maybe someone can shed some light on these issues?