Wes Wannemacher schrieb:
I've been quiet on this one, but since I finally had a breakthrough
today, I feel like talking about it :)

I started a pet project that I've been toying around in my head for a
while. As a parent, I coach a few elementary and junior high sports. It
is a volunteer thing, and if offered pay, I would refuse it (the schools
need the money more than I do). The biggest complaint that parents have
though is that they feel like we don't provide enough information, etc.
Sometimes I want to tell the parents that complain to shove it :), but
as a parent myself, I feel the same way about teachers, so I try to do a
better job each season. Since I setup a wordpress/phpBB site a while
back (which I haven't been too diligent about updating), I thought about
doing something similar. Having dealt once with wordpress/phpBB, I have
vowed to never do it again.
In an attempt to "eat-my-own-dog-food," I decided to do this all from
scratch with s2 and friends. So, I'm creating a site that is centered
around managing a team. The goal is to make a resource for parents and
fans to discuss the teams and athletes. It will mostly be a knock-off of
other blogs and forums, but it will provide some extra functionality for
whichever sport is being managed. So, stats, pictures and videos can be
uploaded. A schedule can be viewed (and managed by coaches). Coaches can
blog about the various events (matches, tournaments, etc.). And, users
can post in a forum (polls, regular forums).
The fun part - The site is struts 2.1.?-SNAPSHOT based using Maven,
Spring, Hibernate (JPA), SiteMesh, Acegi, and Prototype/JQuery (haven't
decided yet). I'm using the codebehind plugin and other than acegi, I've
hardly written any configuration at all! It's wonderful. The
breakthrough I had was that I've created something like 40 entities so
far and just began work on s2 actions. I was crossing my fingers that my
generic dao, codebehind and spring autowire would allow me to code by
convention and that things would work properly. Imagine my surprise when
I had my first action working in less than a few hours! When I'm done, I
may yank the guts out and post an integrated blog/forum project to
sourceforge as an example of s2/spring/sitemesh/jpa with hints of AJAX,
but that's a ways out...

-Wes

Fans are the best coach. Did you know that!?

As I understand your project I it sounds close to what certain 'low-level' European soccer clubs are doing to raise money for their club. For a little fee every fan owns part of the club and over the web they can decide over the formation, the training schedule and what else. In some case the coach has to do what the people say in other case he simply has to justify if not doing so. The one soccer club I know of is Ebbsfleet (http://www.ebbsfleetunited.co.uk/) with their project MyFootballClub (http://www.myfootballclub.co.uk/).

Just wanted to share this perspective.

greetz