Your right. The flash interceptor is more for the benefit of the next JSP page (i.e. redirect after post pattern) and not for accessing data in the current action. For this scenario you can use the chaining interceptor/result type - match setters on the current action with getters from the previously executed action.

/Ian

Guillaume Bilodeau wrote:
Hi Ian,

First let me congratulate you on your Struts2 book, I honestly think it's
one of the best technical books I've read in a while: it's thorough,
practical and tackles every day issues.  Kudos to you!

About that WebWork flash interceptor, it seems to me that it's not that
useful.  AFAICT it simply puts the previously executed action on the value
stack given to the currently executed action.  This works great if all you
need is access properties in the final JSP, but what if the current action
needs to access these properties?  If I understand correctly, to do this the
action must browse through the value stack explicitly or do an OGNL lookup
on the value stack.  To me this seems impractical and feels very different
from the overall Struts2 paradigm.

The Scope plugin also feels like too much a departure from the Struts2
paradigm.

What would be great is if an interceptor would inject all properties that
are shared by the previous and the current action (by name? by type?) in the
current action, in a similar fashion to HTTP parameter injection.

Is there an interceptor that does this or is this something that should be
developed?

Cheers,
GB

Ian Roughley wrote:
There is also a flash result type / interceptor in webwork - very easy (<2 min) to convert to s2.

/Ian

Don Brown wrote:
There is the Struts 2 Scope Plugin [1], which does flash scope and a
lot more.  Also, the message store interceptor, available in core
out-of-the-box, will persist action and error messages across a
redirect in a "flash" scope, which is very handy for registering
validation errors on a POST but having the response redirect the user
to a GET.

Don

[1] http://cwiki.apache.org/S2PLUGINS/scope-plugin.html

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 6:48 PM, Alex Shneyderman