Hi Brad and thank you for the reply.

I have tried setting the scope="prototype" but it didn't change the error I
am seeing.

I also tried your suggestion of removing the "!*" part of the method name
from the action along with the method="{1}" but again it didn't change
anything.

I have noticed a couple of odd things happening in the logs when the server
(Tomcat) boots up.

1) I can see the spring-struts2 plugin initiliasing in the log:

org.apache.struts2.spring.StrutsSpringObjectFactory  - Initializing
Struts-Spring integration
com.opensymphony.xwork2.spring.SpringObjectFactory  - Setting autowire
strategy to name
org.apache.struts2.spring.StrutsSpringObjectFactory  - ... initialized
Struts-Spring integration successfully

2) When I don't use the id of a spring bean as my struts action class value
I can see the beans from my spring-config being created in the log. However,
if I do use the id of the spring bean as the struts action class then those
beans do not get created, It seems as if the presence of the value of the
spring bean id attribute in the action class attribute is enough to stop
spring creating the beans. As they are not being created, struts2 naturally
fails to find it and throws the error I am seeing.

I am unsure what could be causing this so any suggestions would be welcomed.