The quick answer: in the default configuration, when the validation
fails the result INPUT ("input") is returned. You frequently define a
mapping for this action and result in your struts.xml which renders
the "original" jsp (the input) so that the user can see the errors
(eg: <s:actionerrors />) and reenter the data.

Hernán J. González
http://hjg.com.ar/